Saturday 29 November 2014

Blenheim to Christchurch

While the hostel I was at was comfortable enough, it was very much a zoo during meal times. It was very strange to be sharing my morning with others, but it was to be expected as basically everyone was working. 

A bit after 8 I set off. A slight weight imbalance caused a little wobble but was soon forgotten. I had a few kms warming up on the flat before the first and biggest hill showed itself. 

I got up it no problem, especially with a bit of a tailwind. For the main highway north the road is amazingly narrow. They are currently doing works to straighten it or but seems well overdue. Generally everyone behaved themselves but one cat did take offence at me stopping them plowing into an oncoming truck though. 

Today was the first time this trip that I really missed my higher gears, as the tailwind meant I could push while at speed without to much diminishing returns. 

Unfortunately after a few climbs early on I stayed to feel really flat. Perhaps it was regret at passing the turnoff to Molesworth. I'd rate the few hours before lunch my worst of the trip, being basically the only time I didn't want to be on the bike at all. 


About 55km in I came across a sign to Pedalers Rest, a bit of a hostel catering to cyclists. Unfortunately it was really early in the day so even in my apathetic state I couldn't stop. 

A little while on I reached the coast. Things picked up a little, but it was only after lunch that I started to feel good. More stimulating scenery have me something to think about. 


About 15km from my planned stop for the day I came across a German couple cycling the opposite direction. They were towards the end of their 2 month trip. After suggesting the hostel I headed off.

I soon came to where I'd planned to stop. It looked very unappealing so I decided to push on to Kaikoura. Without the tailwind I workshy Jane managed it but luckily it was just strong enough to get my by. As I got closer to Kaikoura the road became much more scenic, as well as tighter. Definitely not ideal worth my fading energy.

I managed to survive, and once again opted for a hostel, this time minus the Zoo.

I've even met Susan, 2 days into a very rapid tour of the south island. It will be interesting to see how things go for her as she's planned every day, including one 160km ride from Arthurs Pass to Christchurch. She's definitely doing the trip very differently to me, carrying no camping or cooking equipment. 

Distance day 130km total 3130km
Ascent 950m total 34,850m

I took an extremely long time to get going this morning, and for no good reason. Eventually I headed off. I had 2 options, SH1 along the coast or a tougher inland route. I don't like main roads so I took the tough option. 


I was very happy to see mountains ahead. Today though they were very draining. Right from the start I was heading into a stiff headwind. The only respite I would get all day was the occasional cliff, but the wind was never far away. 

After my effort the previous day I could feel my legs on some of the climbs. Nothing too bad, just enough to get me to back off. 

The riding was generally up, but with a bunch of drops sown to rivers the riding was exhausting. 

Eventually I reached my destination, Mt Lyford lodge. I set up my tent and was in the process of removing the dead sand flies when one of the hooks that holds the inner up came off! 

I've managed to sew it back on, so hopefully it holds. I'll probably do some more work in it when I'm not so tired. 

The evening was spent chatting to an aussie couple on their honeymoon and a very frisky Czech barmaid. 

Distance day 61km total 3191km
Ascent day 1300m total 36,150m

I got my mojo back! The previous days had been a grind but I felt great, even with bit great weather and my first puncture. 

A nice quick packup was ruined by a very lazy time sitting on the couch watching cricket. 


30mins in I noticed my back tyre coitus use a pump. Once I was at a decent pressure I heard a hissing, which was coming from a decent gash in the tyre. No idea what caused it. I took my time repairing the tube and I used a bit of tape to block the small hole in the inside of the tyre. I'll replace that tyre when I can. 

I had a headwind for most of the ride, but unlike the previous day I only had to drop a few gears to make it comfortable. 

In Culverden I met a German cyclist on a mtb heading to Hanmer. He was 2 weeks from the end of his 6 week tour. I suggested the Rainbow Road, but his experience with broken spokes put him off. 

Uh oh. 
After lunch in the exact same place as a week earlier i headed off. The wind was almost straight from the side so I occasionally got some benefit. The temperature was doubt, and as I got to Waikari i felt the rain. I didn't have far to go so I had some last food before pushing on. 

I reached Waipara and found the backpackers. I didn't feel like setting the tent up in the rain and the price was all right. 

Before I'd settled in I saw Susan, the cyclist I'd met in Kaikoura. She'd had a much tougher day,doing the shorter easier coastal route but in one day, including a few hours of reason including some hail. We were heading different directions the next morning although we may meet on the west coast.

Distance  day 86km total 3277km
Ascent day 450m total 36,600m


I had a terrible sleep so as soon as i figured it was after 5 I got up. After saying goodbye to Susan I was off. 3 hours later I was in Christchurch. 

While not the least climbing I've done, it was the flattest day. The roads were busy, but wasn't so bad. 

A shower then lunch with Rob and Donna was very pleasant. My puncture the yesterday had highlighted a few cuts in the rear tyre. The front wasn't too bad but I decided the price was good enough so I switched both. 


I do hope they are as bombproof as they're made out as they wouldn't be fun to fix in bad weather! 

Rob took me on a roundabout trip to the bike shop to see how the city is going. I can't remember spending much time around in the past so I can't comment on the change, but people's comparison to a warzone is fairly accurate. 

Distance day 56km total 3323km
Ascent 100m total 36,700m

Arthurs Pass then the west coast next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment