Tuesday 13 January 2015

Dunedin to Twizel

My ride into Dunedin over Mt Cargill had been quite pleasant so I decided to do it again.

The ride was perhaps slightly tougher, but it still was worth the effort. 

On the way down I met 2 tourers, and throughout the day I'd meet 4 more. Quite odd for a pretty boring stretch of road.

I had been thinking about trying to get to Oamaru but the strong headwind changed my mind. Instead I stopped in Hampden.

Distance day 85km total 5911km
Ascent day 1000m total 62,400m


As soon as I could I got off SH1 and took the coast route to Oamaru. Along this road I met 2 American tourers. Whilst chatting another cyclist came from behind. Together we enjoyed the quiet scenic route. In Oamaru we parted ways.


After lunch I started on the Ocean 2 Alps trail. My destination was Duntroon. Whilst most of today was on various roads, I was really impressed by the trails that had been made. 

I'd been fighting a headwind most of the day so reaching the camp in Duntroon was a huge relief. 

Distance day 93km total 6004km
Ascent day 1050m total 63,450m

Another day, another headwind. It was Also above 30°.

Todays section of the trail was all on sealed roads except for the last 15km where they had made a cycle trail just off the highway.


The first 35km or so where on the highway. Whilst I'd done this section the week earlier, coming from the other direction gave me some variety.


At Aviemore I crossed the dam and continued on the other side of the lake. This road was quite pleasant to ride. I had one significant climb to get up and over Benmore dam, followed by a quick descent and easy ride into Otematata.

From Otematata I had an even bigger climb, but it was no problem. A while after the descent the off road trail started. And the trail makers struck again.


On my travels I've been on many trails with barriers to stop motorbikes from entering. Often they are well designed allowing for many different bikes.

This particular style seems designed to allow mountain bikes and other flat bar bikes only. One side allows for tall bikes to get their handlebars over, whilst the other side allows for shorter bikes to fit under.

Unfortunately my drop bars were too low to fit over the first option, and too high to fit under the second. To get through I had to take my handlebar bag off and lean the bike over to get the handlebars and seat under. I eventually for pretty good at this but I wish they'd rethink them.


Riding along the lake was quite pleasant. The section along the edge of the highway wasn't too bad either. Rolling into Omarama was very nice, especially as I'd finished my 2 drink bottles in a bit over an hour.

Distance day 91.1km total 6095kmkm
Ascent day 750m total 64,200m

Today ride between Omarama and Twizel was the best part of the trail. It had a good mix of challenging riding and great scenery.

A steady climb for 20km along mostly quiet roads brought me to the start of the trail. Early on I walked a creek crossing, but from that point on I was able to ride it all.


The trail started as a couple of tyre tracks in the grass. Slightly bumpy but easy enough. A few kms in and the track had been fully formed in the side of the hill. Some sections had quite smooth surface whilst others were extremely rocky. The gradient never got too high so I had no problem finding traction.


On the way up I met 2 aussie women on fully loaded folding bikes. They had done the whole trail up to that point including the helicopter flight across lake Pukaki.


From the top I had a very cautious descent. Some parts I felt confortable picking up speed but in general the surface was too loose and rocky.

From the bottom the trail followed the lakeshore, first on the road before more off road trails started. I had great fun flowing through the corners, although the loose gravel just off the worn line almost caused me to crash.


An easy ride along the Pukaki canal brought me to Twizel.

Distance day 79km total 6174km
Ascent day 700m total 64,900m

No comments:

Post a Comment