Sunday 18 January 2015

Twizel to Nelson

So I was up at 6am this morning but went back and slept when I found the kitchen locked for another hour...


Eventually I was off. I started off following the O2A towards lake Pukaki. Upon reaching the lake I was greeted with my first view of Mt Cook. Throughout the day the view only got better.


I started along the road out to Mt Cook village. The riding was very easy. To start with there was very little wind but towards the end of the road the headwind picked up. I also met a swiss cyclist heading to Twizel.

I'd planned to stay out at the village, but when I arrived it was still very early and the promise of the strong tailwind had me thinking of a big day.

The wind was amazing. I was cruising above 40kmph down a slight slope. I was having fun till the wind switched. I quickly decided to stay the night in Glentanner.


Such a terrible spot to camp...

Distance day 91km total 6265km
Ascent day 750m total 65,700m

I was greeted in the morning by a wonderful view of mt cook, eventually the clouds covered it but it would clear again.

Today was fairly short. Lake Tekapo was the only feasible place unless I wanted to do a very long ride.

On the way back to the highway junction I met 2 separate cyclists. One of these mentioned I'd likely meet a lot of cyclists today and he wasn't wrong.


Just as I was approaching the Pukaki visitor centre another cyclist turned in. While we were chatting over an early lunch another cyclist turned up. After a while we went to leave and met 2 more!

Of course everyone was heading the other direction. I set off and a few minutes later 2 more approached.


Eventually though I was on my own, enjoying the great weather.


My route today was along the Tekapo canal. Whilst sometimes unsealed it was closed to public vehicles so it was very pleasant riding. The only hills the whole way were 2 steep roads at the start and end.

As I headed in to buy food I saw 3 cyclists that looked very much like tourers and they were. We had dinner together. They'd done a few of the same things as we, but they were still going the other direction.

Distance day 81km total 6346km
Ascent day 550m total 66,250m

It turned out I was camping at the same place as 3 other tourers, same story as all the others though.

I'd considered trying for a big day. To do it though the wind needed to be kind, and it wasn't.


Early on I had a short climb up to Burkes pass, doesn't really count though. The way down was fairly steep, but a very strong headwind slowed me dramatically.

I stopped in Fairly for a drink and a snack. I decided I wasn't up to doing a massive day, although I did decide I could take a significantly longer route which was meant to be more pleasant, and practically all down hill.

There was a light drizzle for most of the day but it was warm enough that I could just shrug it off while riding.

An hour or so out of Fairly I met a dutch couple cycling. It sounded like they'd cycled  NZ a few times already.

The detour I took had me going through Pleasant Point and I'm not sure if something was organised but there were quite a few recreational cyclists, but even they were going the opposite direction!

Made it to Geraldine and enjoyed 10000kj+ for dinner.

Distance day 114km total 6460km
Ascent day 300m total 66,550m

So from basically descending all day I went to climbing for half a day. Doesn't really count though when it's less than 1%.


I had a bunch of stops, never really feeling it. Eventually I did get some stimulation when I descended into the Rakaia gorge.

Of course a gorge generally means you have to go up again, and up I went. While it was fairly steep, the gradient was lower than I thought it was. It was still tough, but quite enjoyable.

From there I had a few more rolling hills before I rolled into Glentunnel.

Distance day 109km total 6569km
Ascent day 700m total 67,250m

For the lay few days I'd been heading away from all the good scenery, and today's ride promised to be gaudy boring.

I didn't even have any hills to add interest. I did however have a cross wind that would sometimes be slightly from behind our slightly from the front.

I met 2 cyclists before I reached Darfield. In town I met 2 cyclists from QLD. They were only over for 5-6 weeks, with plans to cycle a bit of the north island as well!

Once in town I started to look for accommodation. I really should have booked because all the backpackers were full! Eventually I settled for camping.

Before I did that though I went and organised my bus to and from Nelson.

Distance day 66km total 6635km
Ascent day 50m total 67,300m

So I really don't like setting an alarm. I had a terrible sleep because I was worried I'd over sleep and miss the bus.

I didn't and I was packed up with plenty of time so I ended up having a bit of a wander around the city. It was early morning but the centre looked like a ghost town.

The bus ride was very long but it was interesting seeing things from the other side. I'd much prefer being on the bike.

My connection was fine so I was in Nelson mid afternoon.

One day relaxing and prepping for the lay few days of my trip.

I'll be heading towards Farewell spit tomorrow, just going as fast as I can, hopefully ill be over the slight bump of Takaka tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment