Monday 13 October 2014

Melbourne to Parakai

Bags packed and I'm off!

Photos will come sometime later when I have wifi.

 No dramas at the airport (besides getting scanned for explosives a few times). Not really happy about my total weight as I was slightly over on checked luggage and right on the limit for checking but oh well. Hopefully the packing stuff will account for a few kgs.

Flight over was uneventful, first time on an a380, verdict: it's a plane, never really had problems with any aircraft before, although I did notice that leg room was pretty good for me. 

I had to declare my camping gear, so I got a free clean of my shoes and tent! Even managed to get the tent back in its bag.  

Auckland airport really caters to bikes. They have bike repair stands. Took me a little while to get my bike sorted but at least it survived the crossing unscathed.

With my bike ready to go I made my way to the closest train station to head into the city to catch a ferry. I probably did this first ride quicker than any cars. I managed to pay very little attention to Auckland on the train ride and ferry but I'm not too worried. Over on the North shore I headed to Browns Bay where Catherine and Michael had dinner and a bed ready.

Distance day: 23km Total: 23km.
Ascent Day: 300m Total: 300m

Next morning I awoke to some singing. The boys were up! After a quick shop to start my food stockpile, Catherine took me on a very scenic albeit rather hilly ride to Helensville. The first test was awaiting me just outside the front door, 400m at 14%. Give me a month and this may be in the very hard category but day 2 it was almost get off and push situation. That was the hardest of a whole bunch of hard hills but thankfully they were all fairly short and I was payed back with some nice short descents.

In Hellensville Catherine bid her farewells before making the return trip. It was great to have the company and guide for the first real day. After lunch I headed a few km along the road to Parakai to camp.

Distance day: 48km Total: 71km
Ascent day: 700m Total: 1000m

Tomorrow could be a big day! No real campsite for ~120km.

No comments:

Post a Comment