Tuesday 28 October 2014

Russel to Browns Bay

I had a lot of energy when I woke up so I decided I'd look for trouble. As I'd Rushed through Russell and the Bay of Islands the night before I decided the perfect warmup would be to head up to Flagstaff Hill. Awesome 360 degree view over the Bay. I had to work for it as the road up is 800m long and climbs 90m with extended sections on the wrong side of 15%!


The decent down was exhilarating. Had to be on the brakes as if was down into a very residential street.

After backtracking I headed onwards. Now I've generally been using the maps to select routes then checking the distance and
elevation on Google maps. Google suggested I go straight over a hill on gravel rather than traveling twice the distance. So I took that route.

To be fair I knew what I was getting myself into, but if I'd been on a road bike It'd have ended in tears. The corners were really sketchy with steep banks with lose gravel meaning my back wheel would slide down occasionally. The road was also quite steep in sections so traction was a real problem.

The descent was much more relaxing,  which is the opposite of what I'm used to. Going faster allowed to almost use the baked corners. All up it was fun, would be quite pleasant on an unloaded bike.

After that adventure I started looking for a nice place to stop for lunch. I passed a few places with enough space but I was looking for a view. Unfortunately after that I had around an hour of road with minimal shoulder. Ended up turning off to Oakura smashed down a lot of sandwiches.



My previous gravel experiences hadn't dissuaded me so I decided to take a back road past Helena Bay. The climb was about as hard as the previous with 250m gain. This time though I was climbing along the side of very steep hills with awesome views.


I was starting to tire little bit from there it was almost entirely down hill.

Between these gravel sections were amazing riding roads mostly along the coast.



I finally got into camp in Whananaki. By far the busiest I'd been to so far but it was the friday before a long weekend.

Distance day 87km total 916km
Ascent day 1500m total 11250m


I'd been getting pretty good at getting up for the sunrise and very rarely been disappointed.

Turns out I was camping in the same place as another cyclist. Only found out in the morning and once again was wrong direction for me.

I'd planned to head along the coast to the next doc campsite. I didn't have phone reception so I couldn't check but I thought it was maybe 90km. Turns out it was a bit more. I'd been in no rush to leave which mare it much worse.


I'd planned on taking a shortcut across the southern hemispheres longest footbridge bit I couldn't fit! Street that I really should have taken the longer route but I decided to do more gravel.

The roads were very pleasant to ride on but the day was getting and I still had to pass through Whangarei and travel 30km along SH1. I didn't quite manage a clean exit as I rushed mounting at a servo and had a clipless fall. Bit of blood and hurt ego mostly. SH1 was not so nice but I Finally got to the campsite at Uretiti beach. Turns out I passed where Catherine and Michael and the kids were camped.

The site had a similar amount of people to the previous one but Ed spread over a much larger area so it was much nicer. Only had about an hour of sunlight and I was buggered.


Distance day 109km total 1025km
Ascent day 1300m total 12550m



I'd managed to packup pretty quick but a quick chat turned out to be not so quick. I want so tight for time so I didn't worry.

I've figured out that eating enough for breakfast first up takes too long so after a bit of riding I stopped for a second breakfast.

Soon after that the first cyclist for the whole trip padded me. We had a chat and I was invited in for lunch. I didn't really need much but I couldn't turn it down. Really friendly people.

my chosen route was mostly easy going until a nasty hill climbing very rapidly partly on gravel. Luckily the gravel was very good so even though I had to get out l of the saddle to make progress I didn't slip much. The descent was very quick. Got caught out on one cornet but managed to stay on my side of the road.

Managed to get one of the lay sites in Sandspit. Great facilities although the timed showers weren't too pleasant after no shower the two nights before.

Distance day 88km total 1113km
Ascent day 1000m total 13550m

Monday of the long weekend promised to be busy so I was up will before sunrise. Managed to get going at 8am. I had to get into Auckland and I could either avoid SH1 and go an extra 30km or risk it. I decided to risk it as I had very little left in my legs.

Turns out it was a good idea add except for a couple of tight sections it was relatively pleasant. I was off before 9.30am though. After that it was just another couple of hours along the old SH1 to Browns Bay were a warm shower and washing machine were much appreciated at Cath and Mikes.

Distance day 53km total 1166km
Ascent day 900m total 14450m

Rest day was nice although I bought far too much food. Will just have to eat a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment