Sunday 7 December 2014

Hari Hari to Wanaka

I am on the west coast, so I have to get wet. Today was fairly decent considering what other people have had.

We rolled out with a light mist. Basically the whole ride would be like this, although occasionally it got slightly heavier.

First up we had Mt Hercules to climb. Not really a mountain at only 200m, and we were starting just short of halfway up. The descent was very tight, plenty of 25kmh corners. It was good fun going down but it would have been amazing in the dry.


After that we had a few small hills but otherwise it was very easy riding to Franz Josef. The whole ride we should have had the southern alps towering over us, but the cloud blocked all views. We did cross a river with an amazing blue colour, but you'll have to take my word for how cool it was.

I'd been thinking about heading over to Fox Glacier, but with some big climbs, and more importantly descents I figured it would be miserable riding so I called it a day.


There is a cycling couple staying as well, but they're heading north.

The rain had stopped around dinner, but I got as far as unlocking my bike to head to the glacier before it started raining again. Ah well, maybe tomorrow.

Distance day 62km total 3692km
Ascent day 450m total 40,050m

So I didn't go see any of the glaciers, and I have very few regrets.

As I'd been getting ready I'd thought about trying to make it to Haast in one go. At 145km it would be tough, but I had a few backup spots.

I had a short warmup before the climbing started, 3 large hills all before I got to Fox 21km away. The first was easy, the second had me out of the saddle a bit and the third I was out of the saddle for most of it. A light mist was a little annoying but no major problem.

On the way down the last climb I met an American cyclist. She mentioned she'd stayed with a British cyclist planning on heading to Haast. I was dismayed as there was almost no chance of catching him.

I blasted through Fox, and just before the first bridge out I met a cyclist. I caught him! He'd had a helicopter flight, so was just setting off around 11.

The cyclist was not only just a British cyclist, but Tim, a guy I'd rode with over a month ago near Thames. I very quickly realised that Haast was very achievable.


We were both very happy to see each other, so the first few hours went really quickly just chatting. It turned out I have been the only cyclist he's traveled with the whole time.


The day was mostly dry, but the cloud was very thick and low so we didn't get many great views until we reached the coast.


This also coincided with the first big hills since the start of the day. Tim had only started from Fox so had 500m less in his legs. Even so I was feeling pretty good, so I wasn't any slower.

Rolling turns allowed us to keep a respectable pace. Without this, and the company I would have fallen well short of Haast.


When we reached Haast I was feeling awesome, I coitus have kept riding but that would have been silly.

We didn't have any phone reception, but the last forcast made it seem like the next day would be fine until late afternoon, so we made the decision to do the pass.

Distance day 145km total 3837km
Ascent day 1300m total 41,350m

Haast pass, I believe NZ's lowest alpine pass. We had been talking about attempting to reach Wanaka in one day. It would mean another 140km day, my third for the week, but together we figured we may as well aim for it, we had plenty of backup options.


We got going early. It seemed like just on sunrise but it was actually 7.30. A nice 45km ride along flat and undulating roads.


The morning was spectacular, not clear but it was great to actually see the mountains for the first time since Arthurs Pass.


As we approached the pass itself the mist started. Nothing too bad, and the climbing kept us warm.


We knew the climb really started to kick up after The Gates of Haast. A runaway vehicle ramp was a good indication we were in for some pain. Thankfully the gradient dropped significantly so we made it to the top.



A quick descent followed, before a nice bit of fairly flat road, with a tailwind! We didn't realise how strong the wind was until we stopped for a break.


We were making great time, and then the hills started. The views of Lake Wanaka made the effort worthwhile. Following the shore made for very stimulating riding.


Eventually we left lake Wanaka and continued along lake Hawea. Just as stunning, and with a few large hills we continued on.

On one of these hills my gears started skipping. I did a few adjustments and made it a bit better. A little later it started to skip, and no gear would stick. I look down and I see my cassete wobbling! Not good.

Luckily this happened less than 10km to Wanaka, and as long as I was gentle and just kept pedaling I could still ride the bike. There was one hill I had to walk up but otherwise it was fine. If it'd happened any time in the last 300km I would have had to get a lift likely all the way to Wanaka, and missed some great riding.

It was great that we arrived in town early as bike shops were still open, as well as having mechanics working the weekend.

The freewheel is pretty stuffed. I'll know tomorrow, but hopefully they have the parts to fix it, but I may have to resort to getting a knew wheel otherwise I could be around for days.

Distance day 142km total 3984km
Ascent day 1650m total 43,150m


So it took all day, but eventually the mechanic had some time. It's pretty stuffed.

It's been made rideable for a few days, but I may stay another day. At least I don't have to resort to this:


I can either make my way to Queenstown where hopefully a part would be able to be brought in, our wait a day here.

I picked a good place to be stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment