Wednesday 24 December 2014

Manapouri to Dunedin

So I've often had a battle between my body and stubbornness, and today my body won.

I'd looked at the route ahead, fairly flat, so I figured I'd give Riverton a go, almost 130km away. On fresh legs I may have made it, but after 6 days above average riding I was a bit fatigued.

I headed off and managed a decent pace for an hour or so. Then I got a headwind. This took it all out of me. I was constantly taking short breaks.


Along the way I met another cyclist, at least someone was getting the tailwind!

The ride was fairly flat, that is until I reached the coast where rolling hills took whatever I had left. I passed 100km, and struggled on for another 16km before the sight of a campground at Colac Bay gave my legs an excuse to stop working.

My gps managed to freeze, losing all data from December. When I'm in Dunedin I might see if any data recovery programs can find it.

Distance day 116km total 4639km
Ascent day 700m total 50,100m

So still fatigued I planned a short day...

Of course not! That would be sensible. 50km to Invercargil, a little short for a days ride, and I would be staying at Kevin's so I needed to kill some time. Bluff is (not quite) New Zealand's most southern point, sounds like a decent detour.

I had a headwind all the way into Invercargill, and I was very fatigued. Still, Bluff was only another 30km away. Unfortunately that means 30km back. Headwind again. Stubbornness kept me riding, even though I was feeling like I wouldn't be able to make it back.


Eventually I made it! Absolutely stuffed I had a few people take a few photos for me. Unfortunately they all missed the important part of the sign!

Cape to Bluff in 9.5 weeks.

I headed to the nearby cafe for a drink, and decided a small meal would be nice. Almost falling off me seat I just sat there looking aimlessly at the ocean.

After quite a while I headed off. I was a bit worried that I'd really struggle, but a tailwind helped me along nicely.

Eventually I made it to Kevin's, one of Tony's mates.

Distance day 108km total 4746km
Ascent day 400m total 50,500m

So I actually was planning to have a short day today. I'd thought about Curio Bay, 85km away, but I was always planning to just go 50km to Fortrose and see how I was going.

Still with a headwind I made it to Fortrose, and had every intention of staying there. I had a long lie down in the sun, then looked at my watch to see it wasn't even 2 yet! Boredom got the better of me so I set off.


Some cows were very excited to see me!


At the top of a climb the road turned to gravel. A rather hairy decent followed. Just in case I needed some adrenaline to get me through the ride I decided I'd give going sideways a go. With that kick I made it to the bottom, but the rest of the gravel was fairly tough.

Whilst I think I found the gravel tough because I was tired, the concentration needed meant I didn't feel tired at all.


After dinner I headed to the nearby penguin colony. See that wore spec in the middle? That's a penguin. Too tired to wait around to see more I headed back to camp, along the way seeing some dolphins from a distance.

Distance day 84km total 4830km
Ascent day 500m total 51,000m

It rained in the morning. Luckily it cleared up before 6.30 though. Feeling much better I headed off .


Along the way I stopped at Niagara falls. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about...

Today felt like I was back in the north island. No sooner had I finished descending one hill then the next hill started.


Very early on I was climbing through The clouds, at only 100m!

Along the way I met 2 other tourers, one with just a pack! The other was well on his way to finishing his around the world trip.

After leaving them I had just 2 more big climbs before gentle undulations brought be to  Owaka

Distance day 71km total 4904km
Ascent day 1000m total 52,100m

It's amazing what a tailwind can do to morale.

Just 110km out of Dunedin I could have stretched and made it in one day, but I decided to stick to my plan.

I had a very lazy start to the day, leaving a bit before 10am. That was the only bit of laziness though before reaching camp.

Today was just a great ride. It even rained on me a little which didn't bother me at all!  All due to the tailwind.

Early on I gave my speed record a crack, falling just short. While there were a few hills with steep sections, most of today's riding was very easy. This accounted for my 3.5hr 71km, my fastest overall average speed.

Distance day 71km total 4975km
Ascent day 550m total 52,650m

Camping in Waihola, just 30km from Mosgiel I planned to head to Oma and Opa's for morning tea.

I ended up leaving much earlier than I needed, so I went the long way, through Outram. I once again had a tailwind so I had an extremely quick run.

Plenty of time was spent catching up with them, and most of the Dunedin family. I then heading on to Dunedin.

Heading alongside SH1 was harder than I thought, having to check where I was going multiple times.

Made it to Dunedin!

Distance day 56km total 5031km
Ascent day 300m total 52,950m

Day one doing almost nothing! Definitely need it though.

Tuesday I was significantly more productive. I'd always plan on doing a few short rides around, and the Otago peninsula was suggested so I headed off.

The ride out was nice and easy, taking a bit over an hour to go the 30km. I came back via the high road.

I wasn't expecting quite that much climbing. Definitely worth while though!

Distance day 59km total 5100km
Ascent day 550m total 53,500m


For those that have been to Dunedin, chances are you know what Baldwin st. For those that don't, it is the world's steepest street. Doing a cycle trip I felt I had to give it a go.

At an average gradient of 1 in 3.41 it is very hard. Making it harder is one section that reaches 1 in 2.86.

As I approached Baldwin st, I passed a lot of very steep streets. I was very nervous. I figured it would be best if I didn't stop to think what I was about to do so I just turned in and started.

I ended up making it 2/3rds of the way up before I had trouble with my feet hitting my front wheel, forcing me to stop.

Getting started proved very difficult. After a long break I used a nearby driveway to give me a bit of a flat start.

That got me another few metres before I stopped again. And again, and again. Each time I was getting further towards the end of the steepest section.

Once passed that I could almost relax! From there it felt like just a gentle hill!


I then had the interesting task of getting back down!

Turns out to be just like abseiling, once over the edge it was easy! Of course I was hard on the brakes, still speeding up on the steepest section. Near the end I finally let go, with a huge grin on my face!

After that riding up Moari Hill to visit the Boyens's was a nice cool down!


No comments:

Post a Comment