Friday 12 December 2014

Wanaka to Te Anau

So I've had to stay in Wanaka for 3 full days, the longest time without progress since Hanmer Springs. Location is amazing but I've got an itch that needs to be scratched.

So a replacement part for the freehub was ordered on Monday, and it arrived midday Tuesday. If it was as simple as replacing the stuffed part I'd likely be writing this from Queenstown.

Tim riding away
Unfortunately there was a bit of work removing part of the destroyed bearing, and Tim had left an hour earlier so I would have had to bury myself to catch him even if he stopped.


Yesterday I grabbed a mountain bike and had a fun ride around a few trails. Definitely makes me want to get a mountain bike.


My bike is now already to go, and I've done a bit of a tune up so it should run as well as it could. Apparently the drive train is fairly worn, not unusually though. The mechanic suggested that it'd be best to replace the whole lot at once, so there's no problem riding it into the ground. Shifting will get worse, but if I can make it home I do have my old chain and 11-30 cassete that I could use as well.

Come hell or high water I'll be doing the crown range tomorrow.

It felt great to get riding again. And once again Merel. Straight up we had a quick warmup climbing out of Wanaka.


After that it was just a steady climb up to Cardrona, via the bra fence.

After a coffee we were straight into a small hill, but again it flattened off. The mountains on either side just kept getting closer. I was expecting the property climb to start around every corner but the gradual rise continued. When it came we knew it.


20 minutes spent mostly out of the saddle and I was up! Not the hardest climb I've done this trip, but pulling into the wind had taken a lot out of me.


A little later Merel made it as well. She'd been forced to walk a bit, but looked very happy to be up.


We had an awesome descent ahead. I was expecting switchbacks right from the start but they came much later. We stopped At a lookout 1.2km from the top, and saw a cyclist coming up. He sounded very happy when I told him he was nearly done.

We headed off again. Eventually we reached the switchbacks. I wish I could try these unloaded on closed roads. As is they were pretty cool. I had to laugh when I saw a 100km/h sign, cars would have been lucky to get half that.

We both made it down safely, only breaking the speed limit by double...


The ride into Queenstown was fairly easy, but I was glad to get onto a cycle trail to avoid all the traffic.

After a Fergburger for lunch Merel and I parted ways, Merel to a friends place and myself heading along the shore to a campsite for the night.

Distance day 84km total 4099km
Ascent day 1250m total 44,700m

I'd been looking to do the Mavora Lakes route to Te Anau for a few days, so I'd  bought a ticket for the TSS Earnslaw.

I still had to get to the boat first though. The ride from town the afternoon before had been tough, and it was tough on the way back.


The cruise across the lake was very pleasant, although far too many tourists for my liking. Once of the boat and riding I had the road almost all to myself.

 Riding on gravel can take a bit of concentration but it wasnt long before I had to stop and take in the scenery.

 While a few cars passed throughout the day, my main company were sheep and cows. Both did their normal silly thing of running along my path much to my amusement.


Lunch was outside a cottage in a truly shocking location...


I had a couple of creeks to cross, no problem at all and the cool water felt amazing as it was fairly warm.

The only rough part of the ride came around halfway. 3km of steep climbing had me out of the saddle, but the surface was pretty decent so I didn't have much trouble finding traction.


Mavora lakes was my camp for the night, and sand flies were my company. At least some rain in the evening have me another excuse to stay in my tent.

Distance day 70km total 4169km
Ascent day 950m total 45,650m


I had a terrible sleep. No idea why. That and the low cloud made for slightly tedious riding, although I amused myself by pushing harder than I usually would.

My pace on the gravel was pretty good, and once on the sealed road it picked up. Definitely helps mostly descending.

I got into Te Anau and got to enjoy a very sunny afternoon!no

Distance day 72km total 4243km
Ascent day 150m total 45,800m

Mildord Sound is next!


No comments:

Post a Comment